Maps, Guides & More

Places and geographical objects on the map of Boqueron.

Map of Boqueron district in Paraguay

Basic information about Boqueron
Boquerón ([bokeˈɾon]) is a department in the western region of Paraguay. It is the country's largest department, with an area of 91,669 km2 (35,394 sq mi), but its population is only 45,617 (2002 census). The department includes the Russian Mennonite colonies of Fernheim, Menno and its administrative center Loma Plata and Neuland. The capital is Filadelfia. Other towns are General Eugenio A. Garay, Doctor Pedro P. Peña and Mariscal Estigarribia. The western region—Paraguay Occidental—with two percent of the Paraguayan population, produces nearly 65% of the country's milk and meat. High agricultural output is linked to the advanced technology and industry of the Mennonite settlements. In 1945 Boquerón was split, with the portion separated off being renamed \Nueva Asunción\. The reduced remaining area continued to be called \Boquerón\, and the Department's capital was moved to Filadelfia (the previous capital had been Doctor Pedro P. Peña). However, in 1992 the previous department Nueva Asunción was re-integrated into Boquerón, effectively re-forming the Department as of 1945 when it was split, except that after 1992 the enlarged department's capital remained at Filadelfia.
Cities, towns & villages in Boqueron
NameDescriptionShow
Colonia NeulandNeuland Colony is a Mennonite settlement in Paraguay. The settlement in Boquerón Department was founded in 1947 by Russian Mennonites of German language culture and ancestry who fled the Soviet Union for Paraguay after World War II. In 2008 it had about 3,400 residents. The site is near Filadelfia, the capital of Boquerón, and not far from neighbouring Presidente Hayes Department. Neuland is within the Gran Chaco and hosts among other things a museum of colonisation history and a monument remembering the Chaco War. Show Colonia Neulandon the map
Colonia MennoMenno Colony is a settlement founded by German speaking Russian Mennonites from the Canadian provinces of Manitoba and Saskatchewan in 1926 in the central Chaco of northwest Paraguay occupying an area of 7500 km² (2900 mi²). Neighbouring Mennonite settlements are Fernheim Colony and Neuland Colony. The main settlement of the colony is Loma Plata. Menno is the largest of the Mennonite colonies in Paraguay. Show Colonia Mennoon the map
FiladelfiaFiladelfia is the capital of Boquerón Department in the Gran Chaco of western Paraguay. It is the centre of the Fernheim Colony. It is about a 5-hour drive from the capital of Asunción. With a population of about 10,000, it is the largest town for 400 kilometres (250 mi). Show Filadelfiaon the map
Loma PlataLoma Plata is a city in the district, distrito, of Department of Boquerón, Paraguay. It is located 407 km from Asunción by a paved detour of 22km from the Ruta Transchaco. It is the main town of the Menno Colony, one of the Mennonite colonies of the Paraguayan Chaco. Show Loma Plataon the map
General Eugenio A. GarayGeneral Eugenio Alejandrino Garay is a village and district in the Guairá Department of Paraguay. Show General Eugenio A. Garayon the map
Mariscal EstigarribiaMariscal Estigarribia (Spanish pronunciation: [maɾisˈkal estiɣaˈriβja]) is a town in the Boquerón Department, Paraguay. Show Mariscal Estigarribiaon the map
Doctor Pedro P. PeñaDoctor Pedro P. Peña is a town in the Boquerón department of Paraguay. Show Doctor Pedro P. Peñaon the map
Las MercedesLas Mercedes is a neighbourhood (barrio) of Asunción, Paraguay. Show Las Mercedeson the map
States, regions, administrative units in Boqueron
NameDescriptionShow
Departamento de BoquerónBoquerón (Spanish pronunciation: [bokeˈɾon]) is a department in the western region of Paraguay. It is the country's largest department, with an area of 91,669 km2 (35,394 sq mi), but its population is only 45,617 (2002 census). The department includes the Russian Mennonite colonies of Fernheim, Menno and its administrative center Loma Plata and Neuland. The capital is Filadelfia. Other towns are General Eugenio A. Garay, Doctor Pedro P. Peña and Mariscal Estigarribia.Show on map