Maps, Guides & More
Places and geographical objects on the map of Torteval.
Map of Torteval district in Guernsey
|Basic information about Torteval|
|Torteval (Guernésiais: Tortévas) is the smallest of the ten parishes of Guernsey, situated in the Western Parishes region. Its name comes from the Guernésiais words for 'twisting valley'. The parish is split in two by the parish of St. Pierre du Bois, with the part in the east known as Torteval. The detached peninsula to the west is named Pleinmont-Torteval. It features the westernmost point in Guernsey, and a nature reserve. The reserve, designed for birds in the 1970s, is to be redeveloped for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 2012. In Guernésiais, people from Torteval were nicknamed \ânes à pid dé ch'fa\, or 'donkeys with horse's hooves'. In the centre of the parish is a church built in 1818 with one of the oldest bells in the Channel Islands. The church is built on the site of an earlier church, consecrated on 4 November 1140, that had fallen into disrepair.:68 The current church has the tallest steeple in Guernsey, and is intended to be used as a sea-mark. The postal code for street addresses in this parish begins with GY8. The Parish produces a regular magazine called \Les Tortévalais\.|